pinch open to zoom in
- Uncap any suspect cells.
- Use a dry stick or matchstick ensuring that the selected item has a rough surface. If you use a matchstick, break off the red head.
- Insert the stick or matchstick into the suspect pupae and stir the body tissue so that it clings to whatever you are using.
- Slowly withdraw your stick or matchstick and observe how far the pupae body tissue stretches or "ropes" out.
- If the tissue ropes out between 10-30mm then the test was positive.
- The body tissue of AFB infected larva has a caramel type consistency and often "ropes out", before "snapping back". It is not watery or lumpy.