pinch open to zoom in
- Uncap any suspect cells.
- Hold the frame by the lugs at either end of the top bar and turn it upside down.
- Position the sun or a source of artificial light behind you so that it shines into the cells.
- Manipulate the frame up and down so that you can clearly see the base or the content of the cells.
- If any cell has failed to hatch, while the others around it have, it should be uncapped and the larva exposed.
- The cap can easily be removed by scraping it away with your hive tool or a dry grass stalk.
- Once exposed the larva needs to be closely examined (return to the main App for instructions on how to do this and what to look for).
- Closely examine any larva that appears to have died and "collapsed" on to the bottom wall of the cell. Dead larva can range from white to coffee brown in colour.